Monday, August 11, 2008

Trial Lake!

Every year my family goes on their annual camping trip up to Trial Lake in the high Uintahs. We were only able to go up for an afternoon this year what with the new bambino and all, but we had a blast! It was so good to get away, and so fun because my whole family was there! (besides Nate. He's a little tied up right now, but we missed him).
This lake is so beautiful, and so stock full of memories for me since we have been coming here for years and years. I know it's a huge pain for my mom to get this trip ready every year, but I just want her to know how much we appreciate it!



We started our outing with a short walk around the Lake. (Okay, we really only made it like a fourth of the way, if that, but give me a break I just had a baby!)

Noah had his first ride in his "snugglie" carrier (Thanks Grandma Poulsen!) and despite what his face may suggest in this picture, he loved it.After passing on the baby to the many eager hands, Rich and I went for a canoe ride. It was SO peaceful and beautiful, and the fish were jumping everywhere!In my younger years of camping I always kind of felt the pressure of having to fish because all of my brothers and sisters were always fishing, so I did it, but to be honest, I never really enjoyed it all that much. So once I decided that I really didn't care what everyone else was doing, I kind of gave up on fishing.
This year I decided to give it another try, and I loved it! It really is quite relaxing, even when you don't catch anything which I rarely do. Rich and I have decided that we want to get some fishing poles for ourselves.
I didn't expect to catch anything this time, but lo and behold on my second cast in I pulled out this little guy! And really, he was tiney enough that I didn't even feel him on my pole until I was dragging him through the mud and I noticed him flipping around on my hook. He's pretty cute isn't he!
While I was catching my fish Rich was patiently waiting for his turn to use the pole. My 4-year-old neice Sydney was kind enough to let him use her princess fishing pole from Walmart, accompanied by very detailed instructions on how to use it:)Rich also caught a little guppy! Although he wasn't quite as excited as I was about mine. He has higher expectations for himself. A little while later he actually caught a pretty decent sized one but our camera was out of batteries at that point...
The day was perfect! Finished off with a beautiful smokeless fire, roasted bread-sticks with honey butter, and my brother's playing their guitars while we all joined in. You just can't beat that:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man that makes me so homesick for Utah!! It look absolutely beautiful!! I am really jealous but am really glad you got to get away and have a break!

Pays said...

Rachel, I finally started a blog! The address is payday-pays.blogspot.com We added you as a link, hope that's ok? Looks like you had a great outing. You look great too!