Monday, March 2, 2009

Yes, I am so crafty

Today I'm mimicking some of my favorite blogs (Moda Bake Shop, Make and Takes, etc) and giving you a craft idea and a step by step tutorial. I am very proud of myself, mostly because I came up with this on my own (well, I combined a few different ideas into one project). So if anyone reads this and has seen this somewhere else, don't tell me, I'd rather think that I am somewhat original.

And if you don't care what I did and how I did it, skip to the end and you can see the finished project, smile, and move on.


I started out perusing Roberts for an assortment of 12x12 scrapbook paper that matched Noah's bedding. I then made some simple designs using the paper and keeping the 12x12 size. I made four of these sheets, each one different. Very simple, no embelishments or anything (although you certainly could do that and it would be darling).
While at Roberts I also bought some foam core. They had the regular thickness, but I tried out this jumbo kind. It was about twice as thick as the regular foam core, which made it much harder to cut, but I thought it would look cooler. Taking a utility knife (very important that the blade is new, otherwise it's very hard to get a clean cut) I cut out 12x12 squares in the foam core.Even with a nice clean cut I still sanded the edges of the foam core a little bit to make them nice and smooth. I even thought about putting ribbon around them or painting them. I didn't, but I still think those are nice ideas.
Then I used spray mount to mount the 12x12 designs to the foam core. Next, to mount the square I used velcro, applying a small piece on each corner.
Then I pulled off the plastic so the sticky side was exposed, did some measuring, and stuck them on the wall!
Ta-Da! Here is the finished product! And it was so easy! Once I figured out the best way to cut the foam core, I think I could do this entire project in an hour, maybe an hour and a half!The idea is so versitle. You can do as many square as you want for the space you have, you can do several rows, you can do different sizes. I even thought it would be a really cute and inexpensive way to display photos if you added some pictures. The project total (including way more paper than I actually used, velcro, and foam core) was about $17! We already had the utility blade and the spray mount. But its much cheaper than buying frames or canvas art. It just adds a little color and pizzaz don't you think? :)

9 comments:

Marzan Mania said...

Very cute! I really like the idea.

Mari said...

So cute rachey rach! I am definitely going to try this!

Kate said...

Those turned out way cute Rachel! Noah's bedding is cute too. You are crafty!

Pays said...

I'm just gonna start calling you Martha ;) I really like them, they coordinate perfectly with Noah's bedding!

Jedda said...

Wow, good job with your tutorial too! I've been doing a few tutorials over at thislittleproject.blogspot.com. These turned out darling!

Kelly Jean said...

Love it! You always create the cutest things & have such a fabulous taste for style. So inspiring!

Anonymous said...

This looks great. That is such a good idea!

Lauren@ "Happiness is..." said...

Rachel I was so happy to hear from you! Actually I was wondering the other day if you had a blog but I didn't know your new last name or anything so I was at a loss.. You have such a cute family! It was great to hear from you!!!

Steph H said...

Look at you, miss crafty mom! I'm impressed. Speaking of impressed, I love your header! So cute!!